Letting go

What a simple phrase this is. So many times I’ve heard this term and have always found it something that you’d tell others to do but can’t do it yourself! It’s never easy no matter what the logic. 


Letting go of stuff, no problem. Letting go of ideas and thoughts, no worries. But letting go of your loved ones, nope! It’s heartbreaking no matter who it is. But especially gut wrenching if it’s your kids who are growing up faster than you want and are moving on with their life. Then letting go is the hardest thing you’ll ever do. Now that my firstborn is off to college, it seems like someone is pulling my heart out of my chest. 


I never thought I’d be the cool mom who drops off her kids to college because it’s good for them and their future. No illusions there! I knew I’d be a wreck. I’ve been losing sleep for past three years so I’m a pro. So many things will be out of my hand and there’s nothing I can do about it. How can I make things comfortable and safe? What kind of food will she get? Who will tell her to take a break when she’s tired? Who will take one look at her face and know something is not right or something is bothering her?


My daughter on the other hand is so amazingly calm. She’s my rock in a lot of ways:-) She gives me strength to see this transition as something of a small change and not as big as I make it out to be. Something she just has to do and that it won’t change a thing. She’ll be there for us always, which I know she will. 


Oh, but change it will. Her mere absence will change so many things in our family. Our dinner table will be quieter and we’ll miss our discussions about everything under the sun which makes dinner time way longer than just eating. There will be a hole in my heart and I’ll miss her advise and our inside jokes, her comments on how I’m a very careless person in the kitchen:-) Her constant one line zingers on things and people, fashion comments, books sharing, movies and most of all heart to heart chats. That’s what a mother and child relationship has always meant to me, heart to heart. 


I’m so lucky to have another amazing daughter to make this transition a little easier.  She keeps reminding me that she’s still here for two years and I know how blessed I am for having her with us:-) Having her and her routine will help us settle down. And this will be the time I can concentrate on our relationship before she heads off to college too. I know she’ll be my confidant and my friend and my rock too in coming years:-) She already is in so many different ways! Heaven knows what I’ll do when she leaves too. Maybe I’ll pack up and move in with them:-) 


So to all of my friends whose kids are heading out, just remember, we are all going through the same emotions and feelings. One of the best things I read sometime ago was, acknowledge your feelings and be patient. I think many times we try to convince ourselves or are told that we are making it a bigger deal than it is and we should stop. I don’t think that’s healthy at all. What you’re feeling is genuine emotions, so own them and get ready for a new phase of life as a parent, as tough as it is. We have to smile and bear it so our kids don’t have to worry about us as they take on the world. I’ve heard it becomes easier, let’s see! 



Comments

  1. I can totally relate to u.
    Today both my kids r flying to US. It's really heart breaking sending kids away from u. How r lives start revolving around them we don't even realise until the day they leave u and go. My son is my dose of Vit H & F(humour and fun). As long as he is in the house he will take a round every 1 hr to see what i am doing and will come up with some thing funny for every situation.
    1 day, I got too emotional thinking they will be going away soon what will i do... etc etc but then i thought it was our decision to send them to US far from us for better future, so i got my self out of that 60s and 70s ki mummy wala over dramatic emotional phase. Anyhow they will be coming back after 4 months.
    Aaj nahi to kal unko jana hi tha.
    Lots of things r going in my mind. Thanks to u Priyanka got an outlet.
    Though i don't know how will i feel and react coming back home after dropping them to airport.
    Will be experiencing what they call the empty nest syndrome first hand.
    Anyhow have to keep the spirits high by sending the kids positive vibrations and praying for their safety, happiness and success in life. God bless all the kids and be with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautifully expressed. Yes you should express and let your feelings out and there isn't any logic. Just acceptance of the reality as it changes is what works. And being in the now, letting go of the past memories and future worries. Enjoy each moment life brings your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. Yes, accepting and owning your emotions makes it easy to deal with them better. Life is the biggest teacher and no matter how hard the lesson is, we have to learn it. Works both ways, for kids and for parents. Can’t be easy for kids either leaving the only home they’ve ever known and venturing into so much unknown. All we can do is be a rock for them and support them no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that it gives the perspective of the one left behind but it also applies to adult children to young ones. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Astha:-) Yes, it has to be tough on both going through this transition. I can put my thoughts down but even if she doesn’t, I know what Malvika is going through. The fear and nervousness is real.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Empty nesters

Menopause!

Food!